Saturday, August 15, 2020

Chicory Root Coffee



I have a confession; weve totally ignored the curb area in front of our fence this summer, and the weeds took full advantage. I chose to silver lining this situation and pull a big pile of chicory and make chicory coffee, cuz why not. Its an anti-inflammatory digestive aid that can offset the jitters when mixed with regular coffee, but also it was just a project for a day.

I pulled the whole plant


Cut the roots and powerwashed them with the hose. Then dried them off.

 Cut thrm, roasted them, and ground them up

I had a lot of trouble with the grinding, trying 2 food processors and a hand grinder. Rhe processors got stuck and got hot a lot. Ultimately, my advice is tiny pieces and the hand grinder. The food processors got a fine grind, my hand grinder more of a coarse grind (though it is adjustable), and since i was using a french press that was totally fine. In the picture you can see big pieces in a bowl- im going to whack them with a hammer later. I still ended up with 1/2-3/4c of ground chicory coffee. So i put 2Tbs in mini french press.



My little sister recommended using the grounds twice, and it was totally fine to do so!

Its a little smoky, a little malty, a little earthy, and wpuld definitely blend beautifully mixed with legit coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment