Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Travel: The Dominican Republic


 Punta Cana





My parents own a travel agency, and I've spent my life seeing the world. When asked where my favorite place to go is, my answer is and will always be "somewhere new." Needless to say, there's a whole lot of "somewhere new" out there waiting for me to discover. One of my favorite places to go is any all-inclusive resort in Punta Cana. There is something undiscovered about the Dominican Republic, and our experiences there are always fantastic. 

Mostly, we visit the D.R. to lay on a beach with a book and a drink, do a little swimming, and just enjoy some much needed R&R. One special thing I love to do there is photo packages- they're affordable and fabulous. I LOVE playing with the beach dogs- who are showered with resort food by just about everyone.

In 2019, there was a slew of negative press regarding tourist deaths in The Dominican Republic. The funny thing is that there were actually fewer tourist deaths in 2019 than in previous years- only the media coverage was different. A vengeful lover, a drug dealer turned baseball star who visited home, tainted alcohol in Mexican (yeah, not DR) resorts, and a few drunken accidents turned this hot tourist spot into a ghost town during peak season. 
I'm not saying this happened because The Dominican Republic's all-inclusive resorts offered significant competition to Florida resorts without the springbreaker and infighting connotations of Mexico, I'm just saying that the media coverage was disproportionate to past events and it benefited U.S. resorts...



No comments:

Post a Comment